Stephen D. Bechtel Pipeline Engineering Award
Nomination Deadline: November 1st
To recognize outstanding achievements in pipeline engineering, the Bechtel Foundation donated funds to support this award in honor of the contributions made by Stephen D. Bechtel, F.ASCE, to the engineering profession and for his noteworthy advancements in the design and construction of pipelines throughout the world. The award was established by the Board of Direction in October 1970.
- The award is made annually to a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers who has made a definite contribution to the advancement of pipeline engineering, either in research, planning, design, or construction. Any of these contributions may be made either in the form of papers or other forms of written presentations, or through outstanding performance or specific and noteworthy actions which have served to advance the art, science, and technology of pipeline engineering.
- Not more than one award of the prize is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than one person, such as the joint authorship of a paper. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- The Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute Pipeline Division shall recommend the recipient, if any, to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- Current members of the Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute Board of Governors or any Institute Division Executive Committee Members shall not be eligible for the award during their term of service.
- Self-nominations shall not be accepted. Self-promotion or lobbying no behalf of a candidate shall disqualify the candidate from consideration.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next two selection cycles. At the end of the third cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another three-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a plaque and a cash award determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- If the award is presented for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the plaque and cash prize. Award recipients who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.
- Only complete nomination packages, presented by the announced deadline, shall be considered for the award.