Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This medal was established by the Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE to recognize the lifetime achievement of Dr. Maurice A. Biot (1905–1985). The award consists of a medal. This award is funded by the generous endowment of Madame Biot, honoring her late husband. It was instituted by the Board of Direction in 2002.
- The medal will be awarded to an individual who has made outstanding research contributions to the mechanics of porous materials.
- The medal will ordinarily be granted for cumulative distinguished contributions. In exceptional cases, it may be awarded for a single contribution of outstanding merit. The medal will be awarded every year at the discretion of the selection committee.
- The medal will be given without regard for Society membership or nationality.
- No individual shall receive the medal more than once.
- The award committee will consist of the Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI) Advisory Board and be chaired by the Chair of the EMI Advisory Board. At the discretion of the Board, one or more outside experts in the above-stated field may be consulted. The ASCE Executive Committee shall approve the Advisory Board's recommendation.
- The medal will be presented at the ASCE national convention, the EMI annual conference, or a national mechanics conference co-sponsored by ASCE. Whenever appropriate, the recipient will be invited to deliver the Maurice A. Biot Lecture in the conference on a topic within the designated subject area of the award.