EMI Leonardo Da Vinci Award
Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI) established a new award in 2011, The EMI Leonardo Da Vinci Award. The purpose of the award is to recognize outstanding young investigators early in their careers for promising ground-breaking developments in the field of Engineering Mechanics and Mechanical Sciences as relevant to Civil Engineering, understood in the broadest sense.
- The award is given every year to a young investigator,
under 35 years of age or have worked no more than 7 years since receiving their doctoral degree, and
- Whose contributions have the promise to define new directions in theory and application of Engineering Mechanics, in the vein of Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519), a man of unquenchable curiosity and feverishly inventive imagination.
Leonardo da Vinci, in his work related to mechanics, conceptualized many later developments in solid and fluid mechanics, like the bending of beams or the partitioning of energy into potential and kinetic components which is now known as the Bernoulli Theorem in Fluid Mechanics.
The nomination shall consist of:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator.
- A completed Official EMI Award
Nomination form (PDF).
- Three letters of recommendation
(submittal of more than 3 letters of recommendation will automatically disqualify the nomination)
- The nominee's CV.
- A one-page research statement of the Nominee.
- Three publications in peer-reviewed journals, which either have been published or have been accepted for publication.
The award will be given without regard for Society membership or nationality. No individual shall receive the award more than once. The deadline for nomination is November 1 of each year. The award consists of a plaque and will be presented during the EMI annual conference.
Nominations should be submitted to the
Director of EMI via email
or mailed to him at:
Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191
Attn: Dr. Amar Chaker
Download a copy of the Official da Vinci Award Form