Shortridge Hardesty Award
Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was instituted in 1987 by the firm of Hardesty & Hanover to honor the contributions of Shortridge Hardesty as first chair of the Column Research Council (Structural Stability Research Council since 1976). The CRC was organized under the Engineering Foundation in 1944 at the recommendation of the ASCE Committee on Design of Structural Members and with the approval of the Structural Engineering Institute Executive Committee. The award is made in accordance with the policies of the Society and the following specific rules:
The award is made in accordance with the policies of the Society and the following specific rules:
- The award may be awarded annually to an individual (or individuals if recommended) who has contributed substantially in applying fundamental results of research to solution of practical engineering problems in the field of structural stability.
- The award shall be based on a paper published in either the ASCE Structural Engineering Journal (July-June), or the Proceedings of the Structural Stability Research Council (latest available), or upon any other effective contribution in the form of personal efforts and achievements.
- No one shall be eligible to receive the award, or a portion of the award, more than once.
- From 1 to 3 recommendations for the award shall be made by the SEI Committee on Structural Members to the SEI Awards Committee, and the SEI Technical Activities Division Executive Committee will recommend action by the ASCE Executive Committee.
- The awardee or awardees must be an individual or individuals holding any grade of membership in ASCE and/or Structural Stability Research Council (SSRC).
- The award shall consist of a suitably inscribed certificate and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. Recipients who are not the lead author shall receive only a certificate.