The James Laurie Prize was established by the Society on October 1, 1912, and is named in honor of the first President of the Society. In the period from 1912 through 1965, the prize was awarded under the rules for the Thomas Fitch Rowland Prize for the paper judged to be next in order of merit. By action of the Board of Direction in October 1964, beginning in 1966, the prize is now awarded on the basis of contributions to the advancement of transportation engineering. It is administered by the
Transportation and Development Institute
through the Honors and Awards Program.