Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The Wilbur S. Smith Award was established by the Highway Division
(now the Transportation and Development Institute)
of the Society in recognition of the outstanding professional accomplishments of Wilbur S. Smith, Hon.M.ASCE. It was instituted by the Board of Direction in July 1984.
- The award is made to the person who, during the fiscal year preceding the year of the award, shall be judged worthy of special commendation for contributions to the enhancement of the role of the civil engineer in highway engineering. The contribution may be made in the form of a paper published by the Society or by the recipient's personal efforts and achievements toward that goal.
- The award is restricted to Fellows, Members and Associate Members of the Society.
- The Awards Committee of T&DI reviews nominations presented by the Honors and Awards Program and recommends to the Board of Governors of T&DI the recipient, if any, for final action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- Nominees not selected in a given year may be held over for consideration by the Awards Committee of T&DI, with approval from the Board of Governors of T&DI. The names of these nominees will be conveyed to the Honors and Awards Program office.
- The award consists of a plaque and an honorarium determined annually by and subject to approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.