Jack E. Leisch Fellowship
Nomination Deadline: May 15th
The fellowship is a memorial to the outstanding professional accomplishments and contributions of Jack E. Leisch, M. ASCE to the fields of geometric design, traffic engineering and transportation planning. The fellowship is supported by the income from donations in Mr. Leisch's honor. If you have any questions regarding the Leisch Fellowship, you may contact Debi Denney at
- The fellowship will apply to the pursuit of full-time studies in eligible academic programs in highway geometric design, traffic engineering, traffic safety, and transportation planning with the emphasis on geometric design and traffic engineering.
- Applicants must be a member of the ASCE (Membership applications may be submitted with scholarship applications), and must be in good standing at the time of the award.
- Any full-time student who is enrolled in or admitted to a transportation/traffic engineering graduate degree program (master or doctoral) in Civil Engineering at a qualified university may apply. Transportation/highway/traffic engineering graduate programs feature principal course work in traffic engineering, geometric design, transportation planning, and/or transportation science.
- Applicants must be enrolled at a qualified university. Qualified universities are those whose undergraduate Civil Engineering program is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
- Selection is based on appraisal of the applicant's justification, educational plan, academic performance and standing, potential for development, leadership capacity, and financial need.
- Previous Jack E. Leisch Scholarship recipients are not eligible to reapply.
Application Package Must Include
- Personal essay (500 words or less) on why you should receive this scholarship. The essay shall state academic and professional interest and actual or proposed thesis or dissertation topic;
- A statement of financial need;
- Minimum of three letters of recommendations. Recommendations must accompany the application in a sealed envelope. Only one copy of each recommendation is needed;
- Copies of an official transcript and a list of graduate course work (completed and planned) with each application;
- A one page resume should be attached which includes academic experience, GRE scores, honors, activities, organizations, ASCE student chapter activities including any offices held, and any work experience.
One original Application Package (containing items 1 through 5) and 3 copies of all items (except item 3, letters of recommendation, for which only the originals are required) should be received by the ASCE Transportation and Development Institute by the deadline.
The amount of the award is expected to be up to $5,000.00, depending on funds available from the endowment. The successful applicant must submit to ASCE proof of enrollment prior to receipt of the Fellowship.
Submit Applications to Debi Denney at:
American Society of Civil Engineers
The Transportation & Development Institute
Jack E. Leisch Fellowship Committee, c/o Debi Denney
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191-4400