ASCE JIS Editor Approves Special Collections Focused on Smart Cities
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Approval: Dr. Sue McNeil, Editor-in-Chief of ASCE JIS has approved a special collections initiative themed "Smart Cities: Infrastructure, Environment, Disaster Response, and Data Management."
Motivation: The general concept of smart cities has gained significantly in popularity over the past fifteen years. In 2018 alone, more than 5,000 publications appeared with the term "smart city" or "smart cities." The research community has started to operationalize many smart cities concepts, and the ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems offers the perfect venue to disseminate the new methodologies, concepts, and case studies in this research area.
Contents: The paper topics will be expected to include:
- Smart infrastructure asset management systems;
- Smart buildings; Smart transportation, including smart roads and bridges;
- Smart water distribution systems;
- Smart stormwater management systems;
- Smart underground pipes and structures;
- Smart electrical systems and energy metering;
- Clean air and air quality monitoring system;
- Smart parks and recreation facilities;
- Smart video surveillance and crime prevention systems;
- Smart disaster prevention and response;
- Smart data management;
- Life-cycle analysis of smart management systems;
- Operation, maintenance and safety of smart cities;
- Smart road-transportation vehicles and operations.
Editors: The co-editors of the special issue are:
- Dr. Sybil Derrible, Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Materials Engineering and the Department of Computer Science (by courtesy), a Research Associate Professor at the Institute for Environmental Science and Policy, and the Director of the Complex and Sustainable Urban Networks (CSUN) Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Dr. Hosin "David" Lee, Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering and director of Laboratory for Advanced Construction Technology (LACT) at the University of Iowa. Dr. Lee currently serves on the editorial board for ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems.
- Dr. Samuel Labi, Professor of transportation and infrastructure systems engineering in Purdue University's Lyles School of Civil Engineering. He is the director of Purdue's University Transportation Center for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles and the Next Generation Transportation Systems Center.
Dates and Submission Information:
- The target date for submission of papers is
September 15, 2019.
- Review rounds are expected to take place until
April 30, 2020.
- Final papers will be submitted by
June 30, 2020.
For paper submission, authors should
visit the ASCE JIS paper submission site.
(If the submitter is a first-time user of the ASCE JIS portal, they should click on the word "Register" in the navigation bar at the top of the page and enter the requested information.)