Conwy Suspension Bridge
45 39 19.3 N, 121 54 13.2 W
A major structure on the strategically important Bangor to Chester road, the Conwy Suspension Bridge was built with the identical technology developed for the larger Menai Bridge and still has its original iron chains.
When a new road bridge was constructed alongside it, plans were made to demolish the Conwy Suspension Bridge. There was a national outcry and, since 1958, the bridge has been in the care of the National Trust and closed to vehicular traffic.
Designed by Thomas Telford in the gothic style to emulate the Conwy Castle and built between 1822 and 1826, Telford used the same technology to build this bridge as he did the Menai Suspension Bridge. This bridge has two pairs of solid ashlar limestone towers that are 12 feet 4 inches in diameter and 40 feet high. They support chains which span 327 feet between their supports on the towers. They are linked by castellated walls containing the ten feet wide carriageway ches. The wrought iron chains are arranged in two tiers of five nine feet long links joined by deeper plates, the joints of which are alternated. While the original deck had to be replaced in 1896, the Conwy Suspension bridge still has its original iron chains.