Ethics is integral to all decisions, designs, and services performed by civil engineers.
Not only the public trust but also their lives, safety, and welfare depend on professional engineers' efficient, safe, and economical performance of their duties. ASCE's ethics programs, policies, and resources are designed to assist its members in understanding their ethical obligations and incorporating them into the day-to-day conduct of their professional and business-related affairs.
Ethics case studies
Given the vital importance of engineering works to society, it is essential for engineers to understand their responsibility to protect the public health, safety, and welfare even in circumstances when doing so may come at a great personal cost. This video series features interviews with engineers and other professionals regarding their experiences with some of the most significant engineering ethics cases of modern times.
- Guidance on Licensing and Ethical Responsibilities for Civil Engineers (PDF)
- Training resources for combating corruption in construction and engineering (Ethicana)
- Ethics training (On-demand webinars)
- Recognition for professional ethics and leadership (Professional Practice Ethics and Leadership Award)
- Daniel W. Mead Prizes for papers on ethics by students and younger members
- Ethics for geotechnical engineering (Video)
- Ethics Guidelines for Professional Conduct for Civil Engineers (PDF)