Ethics is integral to all decisions, designs, and services performed by civil engineers.
Not only the public trust but also their lives, safety, and welfare depend on professional engineers' efficient, safe, and economical performance of their duties. ASCE's ethics programs, policies, and resources are designed to assist its members in understanding their ethical obligations and incorporating them into the day-to-day conduct of their professional and business-related affairs.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Code of Ethics is the model for professional conduct for ASCE members.
Information about ASCE's ethics enforcement process and a form for reporting ethical concerns about an ASCE member
An examination of the ethical cases considered by the ASCE Committee on Professional Conduct, as well as ethical issues affecting the profession.
The Order of the Engineer was initiated in the United States to foster a spirit of pride and responsibility in the engineering profession.
Signing the Engineer's Charter shows your commitment to demonstrating zero tolerance for bribery, fraud, and corruption in engineering and construction.
Ethics case studies
Given the vital importance of engineering works to society, it is essential for engineers to understand their responsibility to protect the public health, safety, and welfare even in circumstances when doing so may come at a great personal cost. This video series features interviews with engineers and other professionals regarding their experiences with some of the most significant engineering ethics cases of modern times.
- Guidance on Licensing and Ethical Responsibilities for Civil Engineers (PDF)
- Training resources for combating corruption in construction and engineering (Ethicana)
- Ethics training (On-demand webinars)
- Recognition for professional ethics and leadership (Professional Practice Ethics and Leadership Award)
- Daniel W. Mead Prizes for papers on ethics by students and younger members
- Ethics for geotechnical engineering (Video)
- Ethics Guidelines for Professional Conduct for Civil Engineers (PDF)
Join ASCE for the professional support and growth that you won't find anywhere else
ASCE gives you the best professional and technical resources.