Service on an ASCE committee is just one of the many ways in which you can give back to the profession.
Each year, thousands of civil engineering professionals participate in ASCE’s activities by volunteering their technical and professional expertise in support of the Society’s vision and mission to advance the practice of civil engineering. Opportunities exist in Society committees, technical committees, and in the Society's nine Institutes.
- The Society strives to ensure diversity and inclusion is represented in committee compositions.
- Membership and reimbursement is limited to ASCE members in good standing, unless an exception is granted.
- Terms, typically 3 years, begin and end at the conclusion of the Society's Annual Business Meeting.
- Service is limited to a maximum of six (6) consecutive years on the same committee.
- Individuals interested in service on Board and Society Standing Committees, and their constituent committees, must apply for consideration on-line between January 15–March 15.
- Only current committee members with a term expiring in the current year must apply for reappointment.
- All members are welcome to serve as corresponding members rather than full members of committees.
Board Standing Committees
Society Standing Committees
There are five (5) Board-approved committee Focus Areas to direct the work of the Standing Society Committees and their constituent committees. The Standing Society, Constituent Committees and any task committees shall be aligned under one (1) of the five (5) Focus Areas and concentrate their efforts to accomplish their responsibilities in support of their assigned Focus Area.