Nomination Deadline: February 1st
This prize was established and endowed in 1939 by Daniel W. Mead. The prize was established and endowed in 1939 by Daniel W. Mead, Hon.M.ASCE, a Society past president.
- Catherine M. Martsolf, EIT, LEED AP BD+C, A.M.ASCE
ASCE updated the Code of Ethics in October 2020. When comparing the latest version with the previous version, what impact will the changes have on the civil engineering profession? View both former and current codes.
Entries for the contest shall be limited to 1 paper from each ASCE or AEI Student Organization and must be submitted through the Faculty Advisor.
Questions should be directed to [email protected].
- The Daniel W Mead Prize for Younger Members of the society may be awarded annually on the basis of papers on professional ethics. Each year the Committee on Younger Members shall select the specific topics of the contest for the forthcoming year.
- Younger Members of the Society who are in good standing at the time their papers are submitted are eligible, unless they have previously received the national award for which they are competing. For the purpose of this prize, Younger Members are defined as Affiliate Members, Associate Members or Members 35 years of age or less on February 1 on the year of the award.
- Papers for the national contest shall (a) not exceed 2,000 words in length; (b) be written by only 1 person; and (c) not have previously been published in Society publications.
- Papers shall be judged by the Committee on Younger Members (CYM). The Committee shall select one nominee as the national winner. Certificates of Commendation may be given to other deserving nominees. The nominations, if any, shall be presented to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for approval.
- The recipients of Certificates of Commendation shall receive an appropriate certificate recognizing their achievements. The national winner shall receive a plaque and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. The papers written by the national winners shall be forwarded to an appropriate Society journal for consideration to print.
- Active voting members of CYM shall not be eligible for the award. Corresponding Members of CYM are eligible.
To nominate, submit the following to Younger Member Programs in a single .pdf file:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominated paper
The name of the file shall follow this format:
- Mead Prize for Younger Members - Name of Nominee. pdf
Entries must be received by 5:00 pm (EST) February 1.