Nomination Deadline: September 15th
This award was endowed by Marvin Gates and Amerigo Scarpa, ASCE Fellows, and officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction in October, 1973. It is administered by the Construction Institute through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2020: Clifford J. Schexnayder, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE
- The award is known as the Construction Management Award.
- The award may be given annually to an individual who has been a member in good standing of the Construction Institute or the American Society of Civil Engineers for at least 5 years and who has made outstanding contributions to the field of construction management as a practitioner, educator, or researcher either in the form of written presentations, scholarly work, or notable performance.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Not more than 1 award is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than 1 person. One shall receive the award or a portion thereof more than once.
- The Construction Management Award Subcommittee of the Management Practices in Construction Committee (MPIC) reviews the nominations during September and October each year and presents its recommendation to the full committee at its November meeting. The recommendation as to the recipient of the award shall be submitted to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction by the Construction Institute Board of Directors with the advice of previous recipients of the award.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another two-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a certificate and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. If the award is presented for a joint accomplishment, the lead recipient shall receive the certificate and cash prize. All other recipients shall receive only a certificate.
- The award is typically presented at the Construction Institute Summit or the Annual Convention of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191