Distinguished Membership is the highest honor ASCE can bestow. It is reserved for civil engineers who are either ASCE Members or Fellows. One class of recipients is formally inducted annually.
"A Distinguished Member is a person who has attained eminence in some branch of engineering or in the arts and sciences related thereto, including the fields of engineering education and construction."
Whether elected from the membership as a Society Fellow or Member, Distinguished Members (formerly called Honorary Members) are entitled to all the rights and privileges of the Society. The total number of Distinguished Members elected in any year should not exceed 12. Members of the Board of Direction are ineligible for election to honorary membership during their terms of active membership on the Board of Direction.
- Nominations are due October 1. Self-nominations are not permitted. Complete nomination packages must be submitted electronically by a Society member in good standing. The nomination package consists of the completed nomination form (including the endorsing signature from an officer of an Organizational Entity and a 40 word citation highlighting the reason why the nominee should be elected; 1 page summary biography (distinct from the citation); resume or CV not to exceed 15 pages; and a list of 6 individuals who will provide reference letters. Reference letters must not exceed 2 pages each and must be sent electronically to the Honors and Awards Program office. The Society Awards Committee places high value on reference letters, including source, relationship to the nominee and originality. The total page count of a complete nomination package may not exceed 30 pages.
- The Society Awards Committee will review the nominations and transmit to all members of the Board of Direction, not later than one month prior to the meeting at which they will be considered by the Board, the names and biographies of those nominees whom it recommends for election. The listing of recommended nominees should not exceed 12. Names of candidates voted on but not elected may be resubmitted by the Society Awards Committee to the Board of Direction for two years, after which their names will be dropped from the roster of candidates unless re-nominated. Names of candidates considered by the Society Awards Committee but not nominated for election will be reconsidered for 2 years after which their names will be dropped from the roster of candidates unless re-nominated.
- A person elected to Distinguished Membership will be notified promptly thereof by the Secretary. The election will be canceled if an acceptance is not received within 60 days after the mailing of such notice.
Nominate a Candidate for Distinguished Member
- Use the Step by Step Guide (PDF)
- Fill out the official nomination form (PDF).
- Provide a 1 page bio of the nominee.
- Nomination for Distinguished Membership requires 6 letters of recommendation.
- All nominations are due by October 1. Send your nomination package electronically to [email protected].
Class of 2022
- Samuel T. Ariaratnam, Ph.D., P.E., P.Eng., NAC, Dist.M.ASCE
- James L. Beck, Ph.D., F.EMI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Michel Bruneau, Ph.D., P.Eng., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Halil Ceylan, Ph.D., C.Eng., Dist.M.ASCE
- Steven C. Chapra, Ph.D., Dist.M.ASCE
- Pierre Y. Julien, Ph.D., P.Eng., Dist.M.ASCE
- Emmanuel C. “Cris” B. Liban, D.Env., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE
- Therese P. McAllister, Ph.D., P.E., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Terry F. Neimeyer, P.E., BCEE, ENV SP, Dist.M.ASCE
- Tian C. Zhang, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, Dist.M.ASCE
Class of 2021
- Lilia A. Abron, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, NAE, Dist.M.ASCE
- Gregory B. Baecher, Ph.D., NAE, Dist.M.ASCE
- Roberto Ballarini, Ph.D., P.E., F.EMI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Glenn R. Bell, P.E., S.E., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE
- John D. Hooper, P.E., S.E., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Joe D. Manous, Jr., Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, F.EWRI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Satish Nagarajaiah, Ph.D., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE
- Julio A. Ramirez, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE
- Lucio Soibelman, Ph.D., P.Eng, NAC, Dist.M.ASCE
- Kelvin C.P. Wang, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE