Nomination Deadline: June 1
The OPAL leadership awards honor outstanding civil engineering leaders whose lifetime accomplishments contributed in 1 of 5 categories.
- Construction - for innovation and excellence in construction of civil engineering project and/or programs.
Candidates for the award in Construction are senior level professionals whose primary responsibility is/was to oversee significant construction projects, and/or developed innovative solutions directly related to construction.
- Design - for innovation and excellence in civil engineering design.
Candidates for the award in Design are for senior level professionals whose primary responsibility is/was to oversee the design of significant projects, and/or developed/incorporated innovative design solutions.
- Education - for demonstrated excellence in furthering civil engineering education.
Candidates for the award in Education are professors or deans who have directed or changed the course of engineering education.
- Government - for demonstrated leadership of public sector projects and/or programs.
Candidates for the award in Government are senior level professionals who work for a government or quasi-government entity whose primary responsibility is/was to direct, design, and/or oversee significant government civil engineering projects, and/or developed/incorporated innovative solutions.
- Management - for exceptional management skills in his/her professional career.
Candidates for the award in Management are senior managers of an engineering organization, whose primary responsibility is to oversee and direct company operations.
Each Outstanding Projects and Leaders (OPAL) award recipient will receive a trophy at ASCE Convention.
2021 OPAL Award Winners
- Jesus M. de la Garza, Ph.D., Dist.M.ASCE, NAC - Construction
- James L. Barnard, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, Dist.M.ASCE - Design
- Vijay P. Singh, D.Sc., P.E., Hon.D.AWRE, F.EWRI, Dist.M.ASCE - Education
- Sreenivas Alampalli, Ph.D., P.E., F.SEI, F.ASCE - Government
- Terry F. Neimeyer, P.E., ENV SP, BCEE, F.ASCE - Management
2020 OPAL Award Winners
These individuals crafted engineering wonders that have contributed to the creation of thriving businesses and the local economies of the communities they serve. Lifetime recipients represent a model of achievement to which future generations of engineers aspire to match or exceed.
Each Outstanding Projects and Leaders (OPAL) award recipient will receive a trophy at a gala banquet in the spring.
- The awards are given to civil engineers who have made a significant contribution to the civil engineering industry, demonstrated outstanding achievement, leadership, and commitment to excellence.
- Awards may be presented annually in the areas of Construction, Design, Education, Government, and Management.
- In that being an ASCE President is the highest recognition accorded, sitting Presidential Officers and President Emeriti are not eligible for OPAL awards.
- An individual may only receive one OPAL award in their lifetime.
- Names of candidates considered by the Society Awards Committee but not nominated for election will be reconsidered the following two (2) years. Individuals must be re-nominated after three years.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- A completed OPAL Nomination form (PDF), signed by the nominator
- The nominee's resume or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference are required
- The entire application package may not exceed 12 pages.
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191