Nomination Deadline: November 1
This award was endowed by the friends and colleagues of Dan M. Frangopol, Sc.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE, a pioneer in the fields of life-cycle civil engineering and life-cycle cost optimization. The award advances the profession by recognizing individuals for outstanding contributions to the field of life-cycle design, assessment, inspection, maintenance, and cost optimization of civil infrastructure systems. The award was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction on October 18, 2023.
The award is made in accordance with the policies of the Society and the following specific rules:
- The award is made biennially to an individual in recognition of outstanding research contributions to the broad field of life-cycle engineering of civil structures.
- Contributions that may be considered as the basis for nominations may include publications and patents demonstrating a clear scientific or engineering impact -innovative, technical and/or conceptual – on life-cycle design, assessment, inspection, maintenance and/or cost optimization of individual and/or spatially distributed civil structures.
- Membership in the Society or nationality is not a consideration for this award. Preference shall be given to ASCE or institute members if candidates are considered equal in all other ways.
- No one should be eligible to receive the award more than once.
- The Award Selection Committee shall be the Structural Engineering Institute Awards Committee, whose duty shall be to recommend the nominee to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. The nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for a two-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a bronze medal, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient and the year of award, and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on income from the award endowment.
- The award shall be presented at the Structures Congress or at the ASCE Annual Convention.
Nominations should reach the ASCE Headquarters by November 1.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191