Nomination Deadline: February 1st
To recognize the professional contributions of younger members of the Society, Edmund Friedman, Past President of ASCE, contributed funds to establish the Edmund Friedman Young Engineer Award for Professional Achievement. The award was officially instituted by action of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction in October 1972.
- 2021: Nestor J. Godinez, P.E., M.ASCE; Jesse T. Gormley, P.E., ENV SP, M.ASCE; Amit S. Joshi, P.E., M.ASCE; Carly Ann K.H. Kaneko, P.E., ENV SP, M.ASCE; and Kevin F. McMullen, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- This recognition may be awarded annually to Affiliate Members, Associate Members, or Members of the American Society of Civil Engineers who are are ASCE members in good standing at the time of nomination and 35 years of age or less on February 1 in the year of the award and who are judged to have attained significant professional achievement, by the degree to which the candidates have shown:
- Service to the advancement of the profession;
- Evidence of technical competence, high character and integrity;
- Leadership in the development of younger member attitudes toward the profession;
- Contributions to public service outside of their professional career;
- Other evidence of merit, which in the judgment of the Award Selection Committee shall have advanced the Society's objectives.
- Engineering Intern (E.I.), Engineer-In-Training (E.I.T.), or Professional Engineer (P.E.) is required of all candidates.
- The award shall be made every year when, in the judgment of the Award Selection Committee, a sufficient number of suitable candidates is available. No more than 5 recipients will be named in any year, and no recipient may receive the award more than once.
- An individual, or group of individuals, may submit nominations, in writing, for these awards. They are encouraged to submit the nominations through the Section or Branch President. Nominations may also originate in the Award Selection Committee. These nominations shall be submitted to the Honors and Awards program office by February 1 of each year for referral to the Committee on Younger Members. The Committee will then submit its recommendations, if any, to the ASCE Executive Committee for final action.
- Meritorious nominees not selected in a given year may be held over at the discretion of the Award Selection Committee for consideration the following year, provided the nominee is still eligible under Rules II and III.
- Deceased persons are not eligible for nomination for the award, although an award can be made posthumously to a nominee whose nomination had reached the Award Selection Committee during their lifetime.
- The award, to be presented at an appropriate meeting of the Society, shall consist of a certificate inscribed with the name of the recipient and the circumstances of the award, and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- Active voting members of CYM shall not be eligible for the award.
To nominate, submit the following as a single PDF to Younger Member Programs:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator.
- A completed Edmund Friedman Young Engineer Award for Professional Achievement application form (PDF), endorsed by the Section or Branch President.
- The nominee's CV or biographical information.
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation.
Entries must be received by 5:00 pm (EST) February 1.