Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The James Laurie Prize was established by the Society on October 1, 1912, and is named in honor of the first President of the Society. In the period from 1912 through 1965, the prize was awarded under the rules for the Thomas Fitch Rowland Prize for the paper judged to be next in order of merit. By action of the Board of Direction in October 1964, beginning in 1966, the prize is now awarded on the basis of contributions to the advancement of transportation engineering. It is administered by the Transportation & Development Institute through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2021: Halil Ceylan, Ph.D., M.ASCE
- The award is made annually to a member of the Society who has made a definite contribution to the advancement of transportation engineering, either in research, planning, design, or construction. These contributions may have been made either in the form of papers or other written presentations, or through notable performance or specific actions that have served to advance engineering.
- Not more than 1 award of the prize is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the joint contribution of more than one person, such as joint authorship of a paper. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- Each Section and Branch and Technical Council of the Transportation & Development Institute of ASCE (T&DI) is entitled to enter the name of one nominee annually. These names and supporting documents will be referred to the Award Selection Committee.
- The Awards Committee of T&DI reviews nominations presented by the Honors and Awards program and recommends to the Board of Governors of T&DI the recipient, if any, for final action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- Nominees not selected in a given year may be held over for consideration by the Awards Committee of the T&DI, with approval from the Board of Governors of T&DI. The names of these nominees will be conveyed to the Honors and Awards program office.
- The award consists of a plaque. Award winners who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191