Nomination Deadline: November 1st
ASCE established the James Laurie Prize on October 1, 1912, in honor of the Society's first President. From 1912 through 1965, the prize was awarded under the rules for the Thomas Fitch Rowland Prize for the paper judged to be next in order of merit. By action of the Board of Direction in October 1964, beginning in 1966, the prize is now awarded on the basis of contributions to the advancement of transportation engineering. It is administered by the Transportation & Development Institute through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2022: John T. Harvey, Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE
- The award is given annually to a member of the Society who has made a definitive contribution to the advancement of transportation engineering, either in research, planning, design, or construction. These contributions may have been made either in the form of papers or other written presentation, or through specific actions that have served to advance transportation engineering. Candidates must be members in good standing at the time of nomination.
- Not more than one prize is awarded each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the joint contribution of more than one person, such as joint authorship of a paper. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- Each Section, Branch and Technical Council of the ASCE Transportation & Development Institute (T&DI) is entitled to enter the name of one nominee annually. These names and supporting documents will be referred to the Award Selection Committee.
- The T&DI Awards Committee reviews nominations presented by the Honors and Awards program and recommends the recipient, if any, to the T&DI Board of Governors for final action by the ASCE Board of Direction Executive Committee.
- Nominees not selected in a given year may be held over for consideration by the T&DI Awards Committee with approval from the T&DI Board of Governors. T&DI gives these names to the Honors and Awards program office.
- The award consists of a plaque. Award winners who are not the lead recipient receive a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191