Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established in 1986 by the Board of Direction and endowed by Parsons Brinckerhoff, Inc. in honor of John O. Bickel, a retired partner of the firm, an eminent engineer for rail and vehicular tunnels and for over fifty years an employee of Parsons Brinckerhoff. It is administered by the Construction institute through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2023: Ci-Jyun Liang, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE; Vineet R. Kamat, Ph.D., F.ASCE; Carol C. Menassa, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE; and Wes McGee, Aff.M.ASCE
- Nomination for the John O. Bickel Award is open to all writing teams provided at least 50% are Society Members.
- The award consists of an appropriate certificate and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. If the award is presented to a group, the lead recipient shall receive the certificate and cash prize. Award recipients who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.
- The award may be presented annually to the author or authors of the best original article or paper published in a print issue of an ASCE journal during the specified annual period and not previously published concerning the design and/or construction of a rail or vehicular tunnel. Special consideration may be given to articles or papers dealing with tunnels constructed by the immersed or sunken tube method.
- Articles or papers published in the 12 months ending with June of the year proceeding the year of award are eligible for consideration.
- Nominations will be considered by the Construction Institute's Awards Committee. Its recommendation will be made to the Construction Institute's Board of Directors and subsequently ratified by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form for each author
- Copy of the paper
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191