Nomination Deadline: June 1
These individuals crafted engineering wonders that have contributed to the creation of thriving businesses and the local economies of the communities they serve. Lifetime recipients represent a model of achievement to which future generations of engineers aspire to match or exceed.
The OPAL leadership awards honor outstanding civil engineering leaders whose lifetime accomplishments contributed in 1 of 5 categories.
- Construction - for innovation and excellence in construction of civil engineering project and/or programs.
Candidates for the award in Construction are senior level professionals whose primary responsibility is/was to oversee significant construction projects, and/or developed innovative solutions directly related to construction.
- Design - for innovation and excellence in civil engineering design.
Candidates for the award in Design are for senior level professionals whose primary responsibility is/was to oversee the design of significant projects, and/or developed/incorporated innovative design solutions.
- Education - for demonstrated excellence in furthering civil engineering education.
Candidates for the award in Education are professors or deans who have directed or changed the course of engineering education.
- Government - for demonstrated leadership of public sector projects and/or programs.
Candidates for the award in Government are senior level professionals who work for a government or quasi-government entity whose primary responsibility is/was to direct, design, and/or oversee significant government civil engineering projects, and/or developed/incorporated innovative solutions.
- Management - for exceptional management skills in his/her professional career.
Candidates for the award in Management are senior managers of an engineering organization, whose primary responsibility is to oversee and direct company operations.
2021 OPAL Award Winners
- Jesus M. de la Garza, Ph.D., Dist.M.ASCE, NAC - Construction
- James L. Barnard, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, Dist.M.ASCE - Design
- Vijay P. Singh, D.Sc., P.E., Hon.D.AWRE, F.EWRI, Dist.M.ASCE - Education
- Sreenivas Alampalli, Ph.D., P.E., F.SEI, F.ASCE - Government
- Terry F. Neimeyer, P.E., ENV SP, BCEE, F.ASCE - Management
Each Outstanding Projects and Leaders (OPAL) award recipient will receive a trophy at a gala banquet in the spring.
- The awards are given to civil engineers who have made a significant contribution to the civil engineering industry, demonstrated outstanding achievement, leadership, and commitment to excellence.
- Awards may be presented annually in the areas of Construction, Design, Education, Government, and Management.
- In that being an ASCE President is the highest recognition accorded, sitting Presidential Officers and President Emeriti are not eligible for OPAL awards.
- An individual may only receive one OPAL award in their lifetime.
- Names of candidates considered by the Society Awards Committee but not nominated for election will be reconsidered the following two (2) years. Individuals must be re-nominated after three years.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- A completed OPAL Nomination form (PDF), signed by the nominator
- The nominee's resume or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference are required
- The entire application package may not exceed 12 pages.
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191