Nomination Deadline: November 1st
To recognize outstanding achievements in pipeline engineering, the Bechtel Foundation donated funds to support this award in honor of the contributions made by Stephen D. Bechtel, F.ASCE, to the engineering profession and for his noteworthy advancements in the design and construction of pipelines throughout the world. The award was established by the Board of Direction in October 1970.
- 2020 George F. Ruchti, Jr., M.ASCE
- The award is made annually to a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers who has made a definite contribution to the advancement of pipeline engineering, either in research, planning, design, or construction. Any of these contributions may be made either in the form of papers or other forms of written presentations, or through outstanding performance or specific and noteworthy actions which have served to advance the art, science, and technology of pipeline engineering.
- Not more than 1 award is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is by multiple contributors, such as the joint authorship of a paper. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- The Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute Pipeline Division Executive Committee shall recommend the recipient, if any, to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- Current members of the Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute Pipeline Division Executive Committee shall not be eligible for the award during their term of service.
- Self-nominations shall not be accepted.
- Self-promotion or lobbying on behalf of a candidate will disqualify the candidate from consideration.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next two selection cycles. At the end of the third cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. Nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another three-cycle period must submit a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a plaque and a cash award determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. This award may be presented at the annual UESI Pipelines Conference or other Society event.
- If the award is presented for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the plaque and cash prize. Award recipients who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.
- Only complete nomination packages, presented by the November 1st deadline, shall be considered for the award.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to Awards & Honors, or by mail to:
ASCE Honors & Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Dr.
Reston, VA 20191