Nomination Deadline: June 1st
The Society instituted the award in 2005 to promote and recognize civil engineering leadership in professional practice and ethics. The Foundation for Professional Practice, established by the Geoprofessional Business Association (GBA, formerly ASFE) and ASCE, donated the funds. The ASCE Committee on Professional Advancement (CPA) administers the award through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2020: Brock E. Barry, Ph.D., P.E., F.ASCE
- The Society confers the award to honor a licensed professional engineer's accomplishments that preeminently promote superior engineering ethics and leadership.
- The Society shall bestow this award to recognize an engineer-leader for a specific accomplishment or for lifetime achievements that demonstrate superior ethics and leadership while the individual participated in professional practice or service to the public.
- The Society may bestow the award on one individual only, on an annual or less basis. The individual does not need to be a member of ASCE or GBA. Persons are ineligible for the award if they are not licensed professional engineers, or if they currently serve on, or have within five years of the nomination date, served on the ASCE Board of Direction or the GBA Board of Directors.
- The Award Committee shall consist of 3 members in good standing of ASCE and three members in good standing of GBA. These members - all licensed professional engineers - shall be appointed by the respective organization's president for staggered 3 year terms. The Committee's chair shall be the representative in the third year of his or her term, and shall alternate annually between an ASCE and a GBA representative. The Committee shall present information about the Award Committee's selection to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final approval.
- The award shall be presented at a mutually agreeable date and place determined annually by the Award Committee.
- The award shall consist of a certificate and honorarium, determined annually and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- No one shall receive the award more than once.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191