Nomination Deadline: August 15th
The Wallace Hayward Baker Award was established in the year 2000 by the Geo-Institute in recognition of the creative and innovative contributions of Wallace Hayward Baker in the field of ground modification.
- 2022: Lisheng Shao, Ph.D., G.E., P.E., M.ASCE
- The award will be given in recognition of ingenious innovation in the field of ground modification. Emphasis shall be placed on the resourceful development of a new technology or the creative application of existing technology to achieve field performance not previously demonstrated.
- Justification for the award shall be a major advancement or a career of inventive contributions to the field. Although desirable, the specific basis for the award does not have to be presented in a lecture.
- The award will normally be given to a single individual and is not restricted to members of the Geo-Institute; in special situations it may be given to a group of individuals.
- Not more than 1 award will be made each year, and no award shall be given if a qualified candidate is not clearly identified.
- The award consists of a plaque and certificate, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient, year of the award, and brief citation describing the basis for the award. (Note: We will explore the possibility that the award may be some replica of our profession, such as a drill bit, etc.)
- The recipient of the award must be recommended by the Awards Committee and approved by the Geo-Institute Board of Governors.
- A nomination must include biographical data for the nominee and a clear description of the basis for the award, including a 20-word-or-less ending to the statement, "The Wallace Hayward Baker Award is given to ____________ in recognition of (20 words or less)".
- The recipient or the nominator shall prepare a manuscript describing the basis for the award to be published in "Geo-Strata" within 12 months following receipt of the award.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191
For any questions regarding The Wallace Hayward Barker Award, please contact the Geo-Institute of ASCE.