Nomination Deadline: October 1st
In July 1946, the Board of Direction authorized annual awards on recommendation by the Society's Committee on Research to stimulate research in civil engineering. In October 1964, Mrs. Alberta Reed Huber endowed these prizes in honor of her husband, Walter L. Huber, Past President, ASCE.
- Amir AghaKouchak, Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE
- Michele Barbato, Ph.D., C.Eng., P.E., F.EMI, F.SEI, M.ASCE
- Eleni Chatzi, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- John D. Fortner, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- Zhiyong J. Ren., Ph.D., EIT, A.M.ASCE
- Research Prizes may be given to members of the Society in any grade for notable achievements in research related to civil engineering. At the time of nomination (October 1 of the year preceding the year of award) nominees must either be under 40 years of age or have worked no more than 12 years since receiving their doctoral degree, whichever is less restrictive. No one shall receive a Research Prize more than once
- Award recipients will be selected based on the impact of their research, both on their chosen subdisciplines, as well as on the field of civil engineering more broadly. Some of the factors used to measure this impact shall include: (1) the nominee's total number of citations; (2) the nominee's h-index; (3) the nominee's total research funding received to date; and (4) two or three letters of recommendation, where no more than one letter may be from a person employed at the same institution as the nominee.
- Nominations may be submitted by anyone and must be sent directly to the Honors and Awards Program office by October 1. The Honors and Awards Program office will transmit nominations to the appropriate ASCE Organizational Entity.
- Each ASCE Organizational Entity may recommend for review by the Huber Selection Committee up to three candidates. Documentation shall be limited to 10 pages plus the candidate nomination form.
- Only those candidate nominations received by the Honors and Awards Program office from the ASCE Organizational Entity by January 15 will be considered by the Committee on Technical Advancement (CTA) Awards Committee on the Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prizes.
- The CTA Awards Committee on the Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prizes shall review the ASCE Organizational Entity endorsed candidates and make recommendations to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction. The Award Selection Committee shall be composed of two representatives from CTA and representatives from each Institute. Members shall serve 3-year overlapping terms. The chair shall be the senior CTA member. To the extent possible, the committee shall include both practitioners and educators.
- Each award shall consist of a suitable certificate and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- Each year, the number of prizes shall not exceed 5. The Award Committee shall present its nominations for final action to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize Nomination Form (PDF) and an Official Award Nomination Form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation, where no more than one letter may be from a person employed at the same institution as the nominee
Submit nominations electronically to [email protected]