Nomination Deadline: November 1
This award was endowed by the friends and colleagues of Wilfred D. Iwan, PH.D., NAE, Dist.M.ASCE. The award recognizes excellence and leadership in mentoring in engineering mechanics research and pedagogy. The award was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction on October 18, 2023.
The award is made in accordance with the policies of the Society and the following specific rules:
- The award is known as the Wilfred D. Iwan Award for Mentors in Mechanics Research.
- The award is given on the basis of excellence and leadership in mentoring in engineering mechanics research and pedagogy.
- Any Society or institute-only member in good standing, except Student Members, is eligible for consideration.
- The award is made annually except that no award is made in a year in which there are no qualified candidates.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. Nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another two-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The Award Selection Committee shall consist of the members of the Advisory Board of the Engineering Mechanics Institute, whose duty shall be to recommend nominees for formal action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- The award consists of a medal and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on income from the award endowment.
Nominations should reach the ASCE Headquarters by November 1.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191