Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established to honor Zdeněk P. Bažant, Ph.D., S.E., NAS, NAE, Hon.M.ASCE, a recognized expert in the field of analytical and computational modeling of failure of quasi-brittle materials. The award was instituted by the Board of Direction on January 8, 2015.
- 2022: Huajian Gao, Ph.D., Aff.M.ASCE
The Medal is accompanied by a monetary award the amount of which depends on the earnings of the endowment ($45,000 in 2020). A major contribution to this award came from multinational cement and concrete industry.
- The award may be made in even-numbered years to an individual whose career demonstrates significant contributions to the engineering science of failure and damage prevention in form of a scientific paper, book, patent or other forms of scientific invention.
- Engineering science of failure and damage prevention is defined as intellectual contributions based upon the principles of sciences and engineering that provide a means of advancing knowledge to prevent failure and damage in engineering applications understood in a broad sense.
- Contributions that may be considered as the basis for nomination may include outstanding performance or specific and noteworthy actions which may include publications, patents or other forms of scientific invention demonstrating a clear impact on failure and damage prevention.
- Candidates for this award are senior-level career civil engineers or engineering scientists.
- The medal will be given without regard for society membership or nationality, but ASCE or institute members shall receive preference where candidates are considered equal in all other ways.
- Not more than 1 award may be presented in any given year. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- The award selection committee shall recommend a nominee for approval by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction. The award selection committee shall be formed by EMI and shall be composed of the chair of the EMI Awards Committee, and four members from EMI and the U.S. National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNCTAM). The chair of the award selection committee shall be the chair of the EMI Award Committee. Award selection committee members shall serve one-year terms and, except for the Chair of the EMI Awards Committee, may not be appointed for a second term.
- The award will consist of a medal, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient and the year of award, and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- The Medal is accompanied by a monetary award of $45,000. A major contribution to this award came from multinational cement and concrete industry.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191