Elected Region 9 Governor
The American Society of Civil Engineers occupies a vital place in the future of the United States and of the civilized world as climate change, population growth and political confusion present existential challenges. There is a demonstrated shortage of engineers needed to address these challenges. ASCE must:
- Provide aid to college programs throughout the state to encourage the selection of civil engineering as a career. Assist colleges in increasing membership in student chapter enrollment.
- Provide resources to YMF and student chapter members involved in promoting the civil engineering profession to young people of all ages through STEM programs, Engineers Week, and related efforts.
- Continue to advise government bodies at all levels of the need to address infrastructure deficiencies and resiliency.
ASCE members must also reach out to the many engineers who are not ASCE members, informing them of the many reasons that membership will enhance their careers, and inviting these non-members to experience ASCE first-hand.
A particular area of concern in California is the lack of emphasis on continuing education, depriving practicing engineers of exposure to rapid expansion in the body of engineering knowledge.
- Bachelor of Engineering, Yale University, Class of 1963
Certification and licenses
- California Professional Engineer, 1973
- Inland Empire Survey and Engineering, Inc., Murrieta, President, 2018-present
- CLE Engineering, Murrieta, Novato, CA and Marion, MA, Vice President, 2005-2018
- Santa Rosa Community Services District, Temecula, CA, General Manager, 1999-2005
- Rogers Engineering, Sole Proprietor, Temecula, 1998-2005
- Grayner-Rogers Engineering, Temecula, 1982-1998, Executive Vice President
- SB&O and predecessor companies, Vice President, San Diego, 1968-1982
- Sverdrup & Parcel, Civil Designer and Inspector, San Francisco, 1965-1968
- U.S. Navy, Line and Civil Engineer Corps officer, active and reserve, 1963-1975
- ASCE Foundation Region 9 Trustee, 2019-present
- Task Committee on Life Members, 2021
- Multi-Region Leadership Conference, Seattle, 2015
- Legislative Fly-In, two years
- National Conference and Convention Attendee, 8 years
- Presenter at Anaheim virtual convention with three other Members, 2020: “Large Firm or Small, Private or Public”
- Riverside San Bernardino Branch: Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice President, 2011-2014
- Los Angeles Section President, 2015; three years on Section Board
- California Legislative Fly-In, two years
Other volunteer activities
- San Bernardino Symphony, Board of Directors, 2018-present
- California Baptist University, CE/CM Department Industry Advisory Council, 2018-present
- Outstanding Life Member, Los Angeles Section, 2019
- Robert W. Bein Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016