Nomination Deadline: August 15th
This award was established by the Geotechnical Engineering Division (now the Geo-Institute) of ASCE as a memorial to the outstanding contributions of Arthur Casagrande, Hon.M.ASCE, to the teaching, research, and practice of geotechnical engineering. The award is funded by gifts from the many students, colleagues, and friends of Arthur Casagrande. The award was established to provide professional development opportunities for outstanding young practitioners, researchers, and teachers of geotechnical engineering. It is administered by the Geo-Institute through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2023: Bryant A. Robbins, P.E., M.ASCE
- The award may be given in recognition of outstanding accomplishments, as evidenced by completed works, reports, or papers in the field of geotechnical engineering. It is intended to further the professional development of an outstanding practitioners, researchers, or teachers of geotechnical engineering. Candidates who are 35 years of age or less on December 31 of the calendar year nominated are eligible.
- Membership in the Society is not a requirement for consideration.
- The Geo-Institute Board of Governors will recommend for ASCE Executive Committee approval the awardee or, in exceptional cases, not more than 2 awardees, from nominations made annually by members of the Geo-Institute. Nominations shall be no more than 10 pages in length and should include supporting evidence of distinguished accomplishments by the nominee, together with supporting letters and a brief biography.
- Multiple awards within an award cycle are tendered only if the balance then available in the award fund is adequate for the purpose.
- Nominees not selected in a given year shall be held over for consideration through the next two cycles, provided candidates meet the age requirement. At the end of the third cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. Nominators who wish their candidate to be considered for another three-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a certificate and a cash prize determined annually by, and subject to, the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191