Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The Daniel W. Halpin Award for Scholarship in Construction was established by the Board of Direction on January 18, 2011, to recognize individuals who have demonstrated outstanding scholarship that advances construction engineering as a science. It was named in honor of Daniel W. Halpin, Ph.D., Dist.M.ASCE who is recognized as one of the leading authorities in the world on the use of simulation in studying construction processes. The award is administered by the Construction Institute through the Honors and Awards Program.
- 2021: Jessica Kaminsky, P.D., A.M.ASCE
- The name of the award is the Daniel W. Halpin Award for Scholarship in Construction.
- The award may be made to a member of ASCE or the Construction Institute who has demonstrated outstanding scholarship that advances construction engineering as a science.
- The member must have attained a doctoral degree within the 10 year period ending on the submission deadline for the award.
- If the nominee is a faculty member, the award must be based on the nominee's independent contributions - i.e., the nominee must have been primarily responsible for the scholarly activity.
- Scholarship is defined as scholarly activity that advances the state of the art, and includes (but is not limited to):
- The creation and dissimulation of original knowledge
- Development of teaching materials such as books, etc.
- Mentoring and pedagogical activities
- Nominations will be considered by the Construction Institute's Awards Committee. Its recommendation will be made to the Construction Institute's Board of Directors and subsequently ratified by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle, provided the candidate is eligible under Rule III. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another two-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a certificate and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- The award recipient may be invited to present a Daniel W. Halpin Scholarship in Construction Address at an appropriate meeting of the Society.
- Only 1 person shall receive the award in any year, and an awardee may receive the honor only once.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191