Nomination Deadline: October 30th
The Hydraulic Structures Medal was instituted in 1983 by Fred W. Blaisdell, F.ASCE, to honor the contributions of Melvin M. Culp, M.ASCE, and William O. Ree, F.ASCE, for their conception and development of generalized procedures for the design and application of hydraulic structures, and for their exemplary ethical and professional standards. The medal was endowed by additional gifts from friends and professional associates.
- 2022: David Zhiwei Zhu, Ph.D., P.Eng., M.ASCE
- The award will be given without restrictions as to Society membership.
- The award shall consist of a gold-plated medal and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction, with the advice of the Governing Board of the Environmental & Water Resources Institute, based on the income from the award fund.
- The award may be made annually to an individual for significant contributions to the advancement of the art and science of hydraulic engineering as applied to hydraulic structures. The Award Selection Committee may consider a candidate's papers published in the Society's technical journals, innovative application of hydraulic principles, individual achievements, or distinguished or meritorious service. A contribution of fundamental principles or design criteria having general application to multiple structures and usefulness over wide geographical areas is given preferred consideration over a contribution specific to a single structure or limited area. In the case of a paper, the coverage and presentation shall be sufficiently complete that the subject matter can be readily evaluated by the practitioner and immediately and confidently applied in practice. The subject matter must completely cover a complete structure or a complete element of a structure. Theoretical and mathematical models must be verified by physical models or physical data. Clarity of expression, readability, and form of presentation are also considered.
- The award is presented at a national meeting of the Environmental & Water Resources Institute.
- Responsibility for nominations and recommendation of the winner (or winners) of the Hydraulic Structures Medal is vested in the Environmental & Water Resources Institute who shall make their recommendation by February 15 of each year for ratification by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191