Nomination Deadline: October 1st
This prize was established and endowed in 1943 by John C. Stevens, Past President, ASCE.
- 2022: Lu Wang, Ph.D., Aff.M.ASCE & Dawei Guan, Ph.D., Aff.M.ASCE
- The prize is designated the J.C. Stevens Award.
- It may be given to the best discussion of a paper, the discussion having been published in a print issue of an ASCE journal overseen by EWRI during the 12 month period ending with June of the year preceding the year of award.
- The paper and its discussion must be in the field of hydraulics (including fluid mechanics and hydrology).
- Papers written jointly by ASCE or EWRI-only members and non-members are eligible, provided at least one of the authors is either an ASCE or EWRI-only member in good standing at the time of nomination. No one is to receive the prize or any portion thereof more than once.
- In any year when the excellence of more than one discussion on a paper justifies it, the Award Selection Committee designates a "second order of merit.' A discussion on a paper so recognized is considered eligible to compete for the award for the next year.
- The Hydraulics and Waterways Council Awards Committee shall recommend a winner to the EWRI Awards Committee, which shall seek approval from the Governing Board of the Environmental and Water Resources Institute. If approved by the Governing Board of the Environmental and Water Resources Institute, the recommendation shall be presented to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final approval.
- Normally the prize consists of a certificate and books published by ASCE costing not more than $100, however the Governing Board of the Environmental and Water Resources Institute may authorize that limit be exceeded if the income from the endowment is sufficient to justify it.
- The lead author shall receive the certificate and books, which they may select. All other authors shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form for each author
- Copy of the paper
You can submit your nomination electronically to Awards & Honors, or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191