Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established to honor Le Val Lund, Jr., P.E., M.ASCE, a recognized expert on protecting urban lifelines from natural and manmade disasters. The funds for the award were obtained through the solicitation of gifts from his colleagues, admirers and friends. It was instituted by the Board of Direction on October 16, 2012.
- 2020: Anshel J. Schiff, Ph.D., M.ASCE
- The award may be made annually to an individual who has made a definite contribution to the practice of reducing risks to lifeline systems and preparing communities for natural and manmade hazards. The recipient shall have demonstrated exemplary professional conduct, personal leadership, and an understanding of the inter-relationship between engineering and social, economic, and political factors in lifeline risk reduction.
- Lifeline systems include water, power, gas and liquid fuels, communication, transportation, and sewage infrastructure.
- ASCE members of any grade, except Student Members, are eligible for consideration.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Contributions through outstanding performance or specific and noteworthy actions which have served to reduce risks to lifeline systems and prepare communities for natural and manmade hazards are criteria for this award.
- Not more than 1 award may be presented in any given year. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- The Award Selection Committee shall be the Awards Committee of the Infrastructure Resilience Division, whose duty shall be to recommend a nominee for formal action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another 2 cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award will consist of a plaque, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient and the year of award, and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191