Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This prize, established by the Society in April 1947, is a memorial in recognition of the accomplishments of Leon S. Moisseiff, M.ASCE, a notable contributor to the science and art of structural design. Funds were provided by Mr. Moisseiff's friends to set up the medal and to establish a trust fund to support the yearly awards.
- 2023: Jurgen Becque
- The prize is given, in any year, to an important paper published in a print issue of an ASCE journal in the 12 month period ending with June of the year preceding the year of award (or any year since the last award), dealing with the board field of structural design, including applied mechanics as well as the theoretical analysis, or constructive improvement, of engineering structures such as bridges and frames, of any structural material.
- Award of the prize in every year is not mandatory.
- Papers recognized for award of other Society prizes are disqualified.
- All authors, whether members or nonmembers, are eligible to receive the prize.
- In any year when the excellence of more than one paper justifies it, the Award Selection Committee may designate a "second order or merit." A paper so recognized shall be considered eligible to compete in the award for the next year. When a recipient is selected, the Award Selection Committee shall also notify the Honors and Awards Program office, in writing, the nominees designated to be reconsidered in the next award cycle.
- Preparation of a paper by another publisher disqualifies it from this competition.
- The Structural Engineering Institute Board of Governors shall present its nominee to the ASCE Executive Committee for final approval.
- The prize consists of a bronze medal and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. The lead author shall receive the medal and cash prize. All other authors shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form for each author
- Copy of the paper
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191