Nomination Deadline: October 1st
The Norman Medal of the American Society of Civil Engineers was instituted and endowed in 1872 by George H. Norman, M.ASCE. With the assent and the approval of the donors, on June 1, 1897, the Society assumed responsibility for the payment in perpetuity of the Norman Medal.
- Ning Lu, Ph.D., F.EMI, F.ASCE ; Chao Zhang, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- The Norman Medal recognizes a paper that makes a contribution to either practical or research aspects of engineering disciplines. The practical value of contribution and its impact on engineering practice are important considerations The award may be presented annually to the authors or authors of an original paper not previously contributed in whole or in part to any other association or otherwise appeared in print prior to its publication by the Society. Papers published in a print issue of an ASCE journal in the 12 month period ending with June of the year preceding the year of award are eligible.
- Papers written jointly by Society members and nonmembers are eligible, provided at least half of the authors are ASCE members in good standing at the time of nomination.
- Nominations may be submitted by anyone and must be sent directly to the Honors and Awards Program office by October 1. The Honors and Awards Program office will transmit nominations to the appropriate ASCE Organizational Entity for review.
- Each ASCE Organizational Entity may recommend for review up to 2 candidate papers for consideration by the Paper Review Committee.
- Only those candidate nominations received by the Honors and Awards Program office from the ASCE Organizational Entity by January 15 will be considered by the Paper Review Committee.
- The nominated papers are reviewed by the Paper Review Committee which shall recommend the recipient(s) to the Society Awards Committee which shall request approval from the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction. The Paper Review Committee shall be composed of 2 representatives of the Committee on Technical Advancement (CTA) and 1 representative of each Institute. Its chair shall be the senior CTA member. Committee members shall serve 3 year staggered terms.
- The paper considered second in merit to the Norman shall be deemed the winner of the J. James R. Croes Medal. Papers not selected for either award shall be ineligible for re-nomination.
- The lead author shall receive the medal. All other authors shall receive a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form for each author
- Copy of the paper
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191