Nomination Deadline: February 1st
The Vilas Mujumdar Resilience Award was established in October 2022 to recognize ASCE members who have made a definite contribution to the advancement of resilience, specifically those who have developed models to prepare and plan for mitigation of potential adverse effects due to natural hazards, climate change, or other environmental hazards in interdependent civil infrastructure systems.
- The Vilas Mujumdar Resilience Award may be made annually to a member of ASCE who has made a definite contribution to the advancement of resiliency. The award will recognize and honor an individual who has developed models to prepare and plan for mitigation of potential adverse effects due to natural hazards, climate change, or other environmental hazards in interdependent civil infrastructure systems and has created the ability to adapt to and quickly recover from the impact of such hazards. The effective methodologies should include socio-economic and public policy considerations to create overall resilient infrastructure systems.
- The contribution may have been made through outstanding performance or specific noteworthy actions that have served to advance the art, science and technology of the civil infrastructure resiliency field. The nominee's publications in the form of papers or other written presentations may be considered in the selection process. Candidates must be living ASCE members in good standing at the time of nomination and selection. Student members are not eligible for consideration.
- The award is made annually except that no award is made in a year in which there are no qualified candidates.
- One (1) award may be made each year. The award may be bestowed upon more than one individual if the achievement upon which the award is based is by multiple contributors. If the award is presented for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the plaque and the cash prize. Award recipients who are not the lead recipient shall receive only a certificate.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another 2-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- One individual may receive the honor more than once.
- Self-nominations shall not be accepted.
- The award selection committee shall be formed by the Committee on Technical Advancement (CTA) and comprised of five members, one each from the following: CTA, Committee on Adaptation to a Changing Climate, Committee on Sustainability, Infrastructure Resilience Division, and the Structural Engineering Institute (SEI). Members shall be appointed by the CTA Chair except for the SEI representative, who shall be appointed by the SEI President. Members shall have staggered three-year service. To the extent possible, the award selection committee shall include both practitioners and educators, and the CTA-appointed chair shall be a senior member of the awards selection committee. The award selection committee shall recommend a nominee for approval by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- The award shall consist of a plaque, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient and the year of award, and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
- This award is to be presented at the ASCE Annual Convention.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- At least two (2), but no more than three (3) letters of recommendation
Electronic submissions are encouraged to [email protected], by February 1.
Paper submissions are also accepted, in which case one copy of the complete nomination package should be received by the Honors and Awards Program at the ASCE headquarters:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191