Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The Wilbur S. Smith Award was established by the ASCE Highway Division (now the Transportation & Development Institute) in recognition of the outstanding professional accomplishments of Wilbur S. Smith, Hon.M.ASCE. The ASCE Board of Direction established this award in July 1984.
- 2022: Hasan Ozer, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- The award is given to the person who has made special contributions to the enhancement of the civil engineer's role in highway engineering during the prior fiscal year. The contribution may be made in the form of a Society-published paper or by the recipient's personal efforts and achievements toward that goal.
- The award is restricted to Fellows, Members and Associate Society members in good standing at the time of nomination.
- The T&DI Awards Committee reviews nominations presented by the Honors and Awards Program and recommends the recipient, if any, to the T&DI Board of Governors for final action by the ASCE Board of Direction Executive Committee.
- Nominees not selected in a given year may be held over for consideration by the T&DI Awards Committee with approval from the T&DI Board of Governors. The names of these nominees will be sent to the Honors and Awards Program office.
- The award consists of a plaque and an honorarium determined annually by and subject to approval of the ASCE Board of Direction Executive Committee based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191