Nomination Deadline: October 1st
This prize was instituted in 1921 by the Board of Direction in response to a proposal by the Engineering News-Record, which endowed the award in honor of Arthur M. Wellington, former editor of Engineering News and author of a well-known and widely respected treatise on railway location, "The Economic Theory of Railway Location."
- Ran Cao, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- Anil K. Agrawal, P.E., F.SEI, M.ASCE
- Sherif El-Tawil, P.E., F.ASCE
- Xiaochen Xu
- Waider Wong
- The prize may be awarded annually for papers on transportation on land, on the water, in the air, or on foundations and closely-related subjects, not including contributions in the form of reports and manuals.
- Papers published in a print issue of an ASCE journal in the 12 month period ending with June of the year preceding the year of award are eligible.
- The award is not restricted to members of the Society.
- Nominations may be submitted by anyone and must be sent directly to the Honors and Awards Program office by October 1. The Honors and Awards Program office will transmit nominations to the appropriate ASCE Organizational Entity for review.
- Each ASCE Organizational Entity may recommend for review up to 2 candidate papers for consideration by the Paper Review Committee.
- Only those candidate nominations received by the Honors and Awards Program office from the ASCE Organizational Entity by January 15 will be considered by the Paper Review Committee.
- The nominated papers are reviewed by the Paper Review Committee which shall recommend the recipient(s) to the Society Awards Committee which shall request approval from the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction. The Paper Review Committee shall be composed of 2 representatives of the Committee on Technical Advancement (CTA) and 1 representative of each Institute. Its chair shall be the senior CTA member. Committee members shall serve 3 year staggered terms.
- The lead author shall receive a plaque. All other authors shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF) for each author
- Copy of the paper
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191