This fellowship is a memorial to Jack E. Leisch, M.ASCE, and his outstanding professional accomplishments and contributions to the fields of highway design, traffic operations, and transportation planning. The fellowship is supported by donations in Mr. Leisch's honor. The award consists of a certificate and a monetary payment of approximately $5,000.
- 2022: Lan Ventura, S.M.ASCE, Texas Tech University
- The fellowship will apply to the pursuit of full-time studies in an accredited academic program emphasizing transportation planning, roadway geometric design, traffic operations, and safety performance for each user.
- Any full-time student who is enrolled in or admitted to a graduate degree program (master’s or doctoral) at an accredited university may apply.
- Applicants must be a member of ASCE and must be in good standing at the time of the award. Previous fellowship recipients are not eligible to reapply.
- The deadline to submit an application package is March 31, 2023.
- The following documents must be submitted online and uploaded individually as PDF documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Interest
- Resume or CV
- List of Graduate Coursework
- Statement of Financial Need
- Official transcripts and one letter of recommendation – must be emailed directly from the institution to [email protected]
The contents of a complete application package are detailed in the following section.
Incomplete application packages or applications received after March 31, 2023 will not be reviewed.
Selection is based on an appraisal of the applicant's academic program, educational plan, academic performance, post-graduate intentions, leadership capacity, and financial need.
File names are limited to 248 characters. Anything more than that will result in an error and we will not be able to open the file.
To apply, submit a complete application package by March 31, 2023. Applications must include:
- Cover Letter (one page)
- Statement of Interest (1000 words or less) detailing:
- Applicant’s understanding of Jack E. Leisch’s career and how their work correlates with his.
- Applicant’s focus area and long-term interests, and how they apply to the fellowship.
- How the fellowship will support the applicant’s career efforts and long-term goals.
- Any learning experiences or unexpected insights the applicant experienced during the application process.
- Resume (two pages or less) indicating:
- Academic experience
- Undergraduate and graduate grade point average (GPA)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores
- Work experience
- Extracurricular activities including professional society student chapter memberships.
- Other pertinent information
- Official transcripts emailed directly from your institution(s) to [email protected].
- List of graduate coursework completed or planned, in the areas of highway design, traffic operations, and/or transportation planning.
- Confidential letter of recommendation (1) submitted directly by the reference to [email protected] with the subject line Jack E. Leisch Fellowship Nomination Reference for [applicant’s name].
- Statement of Financial Need (250 words or less)
Applications must be submitted online. All documents must be uploaded in PDF format in separate files, and file names are limited to 248 characters. Official transcripts and the letter of recommendation must be emailed to [email protected].
Please contact Melissa Willis at [email protected].