This fellowship is a memorial to Jack E. Leisch, M.ASCE, and his outstanding professional accomplishments and contributions to the fields of highway design, traffic operations, and transportation planning. The award consists of a certificate and a monetary payment of approximately $5,000.
The Jack E. Leisch Fellowship is made possible by generous donations. To contribute to the fellowship, donate here.
- Kyle Bathgate, S.M.ASCE, University of Texas at Austin
- The fellowship will apply to full-time students enrolled in or admitted to a graduate degree program (master’s or doctoral) at an accredited university emphasizing transportation planning, roadway geometric design, traffic operations, and safety performance.
- Applicants must be an ASCE or T&DI member in good standing at the time of the award.
- Previous fellowship recipients are not eligible to reapply.
- The application deadline is March 29, 2024.
- Incomplete application packages or applications received after March 29, 2024, will not be reviewed. See the “Applications” section below for a list of required documents.
- Selection is based on an appraisal of the applicant's academic program, educational plan, academic performance, post-graduate intentions, leadership capacity, and financial need.
To apply, submit a complete application package by March 29, 2024. Applications must include:
- Cover Letter (one page)
- Statement of Interest (1000 words or less) detailing:
- Applicant’s understanding of Jack E. Leisch’s career and how their work correlates with his.
- Applicant’s focus area and long-term interests, and how they apply to the fellowship.
- How the fellowship will support the applicant’s career efforts and long-term goals.
- Any learning experiences or unexpected insights the applicant experienced during the application process.
- Resume (two pages or less) indicating:
- Academic experience
- Undergraduate and graduate grade point average (GPA)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores
- Work experience
- Extracurricular activities including professional society student chapter memberships.
- Other pertinent information
- Official transcripts from graduate and undergraduate institutions.
- A list of completed or planned graduate coursework in the areas of highway design, traffic operations, and/or transportation planning.
- A confidential letter of recommendation.
- Statement of Financial Need (250 words or less).
Please read the following section carefully. Failure to follow the instructions listed below may result in disqualification.
How to apply:
- Submit a complete application by the stated deadline.
- Applications must be submitted online. The link to apply will be available on this page during the application period.
- All documents must be uploaded in PDF format in separate files.
- Please have all documents (except the letter of recommendation and transcripts) available when starting an application.
- File names are limited to 248 characters.
- Official transcripts must be emailed directly from the university to [email protected].
- Letters of recommendation must be emailed directly from the reference to [email protected]. The reference should include the email subject line Jack E. Leisch Fellowship Nomination Reference for [applicant’s name].