Nomination Deadline: November 1st
The award is named for Dr. George Winter, world renowned teacher and researcher at Cornell University, who died in 1982. The George Winter Award is intended as a recognition of the achievements of an active structural engineering researcher, educator or practitioner who best typifies the late Dr. George Winter's humanistic approach to his profession: i.e., an equal concern for matters technical and social, for art as well as science, for soul as well as intellect. The award was officially instituted by action of the ASCE Board of Direction in April 1990.
- 2023: Sankaran Mahadevan, Ph.D., F.EMI, M.ASCE
- The award may be made annually to any individual without regard to Society membership. The recipient shall be first and foremost a structural engineer, one who has consistently worked at advancing the state-of-the-art of the profession through the practical application of design and/or research studies.
- Secondly, the individual must have demonstrated a commitment to the social or artistic needs of the community through work performed in an area not directly related to engineering or science.
- No one shall be eligible to receive the award, or a portion of the award, more than once.
- The Awards Committee of the Structural Engineering Institute shall recommend the recipient, if any, to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- The award consists of a bronze medal with the likeness of George Winter and an honorarium that will be established by the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction based on a review of annual income generated from the award endowment. It will be presented at the Annual Structures Congress Awards Luncheon, however the award need not be given every year if a suitable candidate cannot be identified.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191