Nomination Deadline: October 1st
This award was established to honor Margaret S. Petersen, P.E., BC.WRE, Dist.M.ASCE, a pioneer in hydraulics and water resources engineering. The funds for the award were obtained through the solicitation of gifts from her colleagues, admirers and friends. It was instituted by the Board of Direction on October 8, 2013.
- 2024: Ayse Kilic, Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
- The award may be made annually.
- Candidates for this award must be women who are ASCE or EWRI members in good standing at the time of nomination who have demonstrated exemplary service to the water resources and environmental science and engineering community. ASCE or EWRI Student Members are not eligible for consideration.
- The recipient may be invited to deliver the Margaret S. Petersen Lecture at an appropriate meeting of the Society.
- Criteria may include EWRI or ASCE leadership as an officer or through standing or task committee participation; university or industry excellence in the water resource, hydraulics, or environmental-related science and engineering profession.
- The recipient is strongly encouraged to serve as an ambassador for the award by promoting it at her university, engineering alumni group(s) and/or via her employer. The recipient is also encouraged to mentor/sponsor an ASCE or EWRI woman student or member.
- Not more than 1 award may be presented in any given year. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- The Award Selection Committee shall recommend a nominee for approval by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction. The Award Selection Committee shall be composed of 2 members of the EWRI Education Council, 2 members of the EWRI Emerging and Innovative Technologies Committee, 2 recent award recipients; the Member Services Representative of the EWRI Awards Committee, who shall act as the liaison to the EWRI Awards Committee, and 1 at-large member. The Committee shall elect a Vice Chair who shall serve a 2 year term. Upon completion of service, the Vice Chair shall become the Chair for a 2 year term.
- The award shall consist of a crystal vase, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient and the year of award, and a cash prize, determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A third party letter of nomination
- An Official Award Nomination form
- Nominee's personal statement attesting to how they meet the criteria for the award (not to exceed 1,000 words)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- A minimum of 3, maximum of 5, letters of recommendation
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191