Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award is named for Orville T. Magoon, Dist.M.ASCE, who was employed as a coastal engineer for the US Army Corps of Engineers from 1952 to 1985 and who is well known as an early leader in sustainability and promotion of the concept of sustainability in coastal engineering research, design, construction and management. The award was established by action of the Society on October 8, 2013.
- 2021: Julie D. Rosati, Ph.D., P.E., D.CE, M.ASCE
- The award may be given annually to an individual in recognition of outstanding contributions to sustainable engineering practices in managing shorelines and coastal infrastructure through research, design, construction or management of the natural and built environment in the coastal zone. The award recognizes the balance of coastal values with project needs.
- Membership in the Society is not a consideration for this award.
- Not more than 1 presentation of the award may be made each year.
- The Award Selection Committee shall consist of 3 COPRI members from its coastal committees. The term of each member of the panel of judges shall be 3 years. The terms shall be staggered to allow for overlapping service. The Award Selection Committee shall be chaired by the committee member who has served for the longest period.
- The Award Selection Committee shall review nominations and recommend for COPRI Board approval the name of the recommended winner. With COPRI Board approval, the recommendation is presented to the Executive Committee of ASCE for final action.
- No one shall receive the award more than once.
- In the absence of sufficient qualified nominations, the Awards Committee of COPRI can choose not to make a recommendation in a given year.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another two-cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a trophy.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191