Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction in October 1987 through the generosity of Nevenka Hoffman, widow of Phillip R. Hoffman.
Mr. Hoffman, who received the Rickey Medal in 1981, was associated with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for many years. He had special interest in the design and development of hydroelectric generation-pumped storage, the primary grid energy storage technology in use at the time. Over the years grid energy storage technology and development has expanded to include not only hydroelectric pumped-storage, but also battery, fly-wheel, and compressed air energy storage among other technologies. It is hoped that this memorial award will encourage others to concern themselves with the development and advancement of grid energy storage technologies.
- 2001: David E. Kleiner
- All original papers in the field of grid energy storage development and advancement (e.g. hydroelectric pumped-storage, battery, fly-wheel, compressed air), published in a print issue of an ASCE journal in the 12 month period ending with June of the year preceding the year of award, are eligible.
- The eligible papers will be reviewed by the Executive Committee of the Energy Division, which shall select a nominee for final action by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- The award shall consist of a plaque and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. the lead author shall receive the plaque and cash prize. All other authors shall receive only a certificate.
- Membership in the Society is not a condition for consideration.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form for each author
- 1 copy of the paper as it appeared in a journal's print issue
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191