Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established by the Construction Institute of the Society in memory of 3 outstanding constructors:
- John A. Roebling - the visionary designer and builder of suspension bridges.
- Washington Roebling - John's son, who translated the visions into the "Brooklyn Bridge."
- Emily Warren Roebling - Washington's wife, who, in effect, became the field superintendent in support of her crippled husband's effort. The Roebling Award was instituted by the Board of Direction in April 1987 and is funded by gifts from the construction industry.
- 2021: John S. Dunham, P.E., M.ASCE
- The Roebling Award recognizes and honors an individual who has made an outstanding contribution toward the advancement of construction engineering.
- Nominees shall be either ASCE or Construction Institute members in good standing at the time of nomination.
- The Construction Institute may invite the recipient to deliver a "Roebling Lecture" at an appropriate meeting of the Society.
- The award may be presented annually, except that no award is made in a year in which a suitable candidate cannot be found.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another 2 cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- A program, including a biographical sketch of the recipient, will be published for each lecture. A list of contributors will be published on the back cover.
- The award will consist of certificate and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the ASCE Executive Committee of the Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191