The John Lenard Civil Engineering Scholarship was endowed in 2008 by John Lenard, P.E., F.ASCE to encourage students to further their civil engineering education with a focus on water supply or environmental engineering.
- 2022–2023: Alysha Curtis, S.M.ASCE, California State University, Fresno; Laura Moore, S.M.ASCE, Villanova University
- The John Lenard Civil Engineering Scholarship may be presented annually to not more than 2 undergraduate civil engineering students, who will use the scholarship for their sophomore, junior or senior tuition expenses and fees.
- The purpose of the scholarship is to further the education of worthy students whose studies are focused on water supply or environmental engineering.
- The applicant must be a student majoring in civil engineering in an ABET-accredited program.
- The applicant must be an ASCE Student Member in good standing at the time of application and award.
- The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to either water supply or environmental engineering.
- Previous recipients of this scholarship are eligible to apply in any succeeding competition for these awards provided the other requirements of eligibility are satisfied.
- Complete applications are to be submitted to the ASCE Honors and Awards Program office for receipt by February 10 of the year of award. Application must include (1) completed application form; (2) detailed annual budget; (3) essay by the applicant: What can the civil engineering profession do to improve the environment, and what would the applicant do as a civil engineer to improve the environment; (4) official transcripts; (5) minimum of 2 sealed recommendation letters, one of which must be from a faculty member; and (6) 1-page resume.
- a. Selection of not more than two recipients is made by the Society Awards Committee or its designee and approved by the Executive Committee of the Board of Direction.
- b. The committee reserves the right to recommend that no award be made in a particular year if no meritorious applications are received.
- c. Selection is based on appraisal of applicant’s essay, justification to receive the award, education plans, academic performance, potential for development, demonstrated leadership qualities and financial need.
- a. The amount of each scholarship will be determined annually by and subject to approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- b. The recipient/s will be notified of selection in May by the Executive Director of the Society.
- c. Award funds will be deposited to the recipient’s account with the business office of the institution designated by the recipient.
- d. Funds may be applied to tuition expenses and academic fees reasonably and logically associated with an undergraduate engineering program while continuing formal undergraduate education in an ABET-accredited program.
Application Deadline: Complete applications must be received by February 10.
To apply, submit a completed application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.