Through the generosity of Y. C. Yang, Chairman of T. Y. Lin & Y.C. Yang International, a scholarship fund was established in 2004 to foster interest in structural engineering and to encourage students to further their civil engineering education. Mr. Yang, a renowned structural engineer, has overseen the design and construction of hundreds of projects including medium-to-high rise buildings, highway and railway bridges in the United States and Taiwan, and several airports, including San Francisco International Airport, Oakland Airport, Detroit Metropolitan Airport, and Chiang Kai Shek International Airport, in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2020–2021: Zachary Haney, S.M.ASCE, Illinois Inst. of Tech. & Taylor Repko, S.M.ASCE, Rowan Univ.
- The Y. C. Yang Civil Engineering Scholarship may be presented annually to not more than 2 undergraduate civil engineering students, who will use the scholarship for their sophomore, junior or senior tuition expenses and fees.
- The purpose of the scholarship is to further the education of worthy students in structural engineering.
- At the time of application the individual must be a student in an ABET-accredited program, a Student Member of the Society in good standing at the time of application and award, and expresses an interest in structural engineering.
- Scholarships may be awarded only to those students who will employ them to continue their formal undergraduate education at a recognized educational institution.
- Previous holders of the scholarship are eligible to apply in any succeeding competition for these awards provided the other requirements of eligibility are satisfied.
- Complete applications are to be submitted to the Honors and Awards Program office for receipt by February 10 of the year of award.
- Applications must include (1) completed application form; (2) statement by the applicant addressing his/her interest in structural engineering; (3) detailed annual budget; (4) official transcript; (5)resume; and (6) minimum of two sealed recommendation letters, one of which must be from a faculty member.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Society Awards Committee or its designee for recommendation to the Executive Committee for final approval.
- The committee reserves the right to recommend that no award be made in a particular year if no meritorious applications are received.
- Selection is based on appraisal of applicant’s justification, stated interest in structural engineering, education plans, academic performance, potential for development, demonstrated leadership qualities, financial need.
- The amount of the scholarship will be determined annually by and subject to approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on income from the fund endowment.
- Recipients will be notified of selection in May by the Executive Director the Society.
- Award funds will be deposited to the recipient’s account with the business office of the institution designated by the recipient. The scholarship is to be used for tuition expenses.
Application Deadline: Complete applications must be received by February 10.
To apply, submit a completed application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.