Through the generosity of Mrs. Wahneta T. Hinrichs a scholarship bequest was established in 2008 as a memorial to her husband Francis W. Cox and his father Lawrence W. Cox.
- 2022–2023: Cesar Bedolla-Hurtado, S.M.ASCE Washington State University
- The Lawrence W. and Francis W. Cox Scholarship may be presented annually to one undergraduate civil engineering student, who will use the scholarship for tuition expenses and fees.
- The purpose of the scholarship is to further the education of a worthy student in any civil engineering discipline.
- At the time of application and award the individual must be a student enrolled in and who will continue as an undergraduate in an ABET-accredited or equivalent program in civil engineering or related field.
- Applicants must be a member of the Society and in good standing at the time of application and award.
- Previous recipients are eligible to apply in any succeeding competition for these awards provided the other requirements of eligibility are satisfied.
- Complete applications, following directions provided in the application form, are to be submitted for receipt by February 10 of the year of award.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit materials electronically via [email protected].
- Applications must include:
- completed application form;
- personal essay which shall be no more than 500 words and shall highlight why the applicant wishes to become a civil engineer, specific ASCE Student Chapter involvement, and long term goals and plans;
- detailed annual budget;
- official transcripts;
- minimum of two recommendation letters, one of which must be from a faculty member; and
- one-page resume.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Society Awards Committee or its designee for recommendation to the Executive Committee for final approval.
- The committee reserves the right to recommend that no award be made in a particular year if no meritorious applications are received.
- Selection is based on appraisal of applicant’s essay, education plans, academic performance, potential for development, demonstrated leadership qualities, and financial need.
- The amount of the scholarship will be determined annually by and subject to approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on income from the fund endowment.
- The recipient will be notified of selection in the spring by the Executive Director of the Society.
- Award funds will be deposited to the recipient’s account with the business office of the institution designated by the recipient.
- Funds may be applied to tuition expenses and academic fees reasonably and logically associated with an undergraduate engineering program while continuing formal undergraduate education.
Application Deadline: Complete applications must be received by February 10.
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.