Through the generosity of Mrs. Wahneta T. Hinrichs a scholarship bequest was established in 2008 as a memorial to her husband Francis W. Cox and his father Lawrence W. Cox.
- 2022–2023: Cesar Bedolla-Hurtado, S.M.ASCE Washington State University
- The Lawrence W. and Francis W. Cox Scholarship may be presented annually to one undergraduate civil engineering student, who will use the scholarship for their sophomore, junior or senior tuition expenses and fees.
- The purpose of the scholarship is to further the education of a worthy student in any civil engineering discipline.
- At the time of application the individual must be a student in an ABET accredited program in civil engineering or related field. Applicants must be a student member of the Society and in good standing at the time of application and award.
- The scholarship may be awarded only to those students who will continue their formal undergraduate education at a recognized educational institution.
- Previous recipients of these scholarships are eligible to apply in any succeeding competition for these awards provided the other requirements of eligibility are satisfied.
- Complete applications are to be submitted to the ASCE Honors and Awards Program office for receipt by February 10 of the year of award. Applications must include (1) completed application form; (2) personal essay which shall be no more than 500 words and shall highlight why the applicant wishes to become a civil engineer, specific ASCE Student Chapter involvement, and long term goals and plans; (3) detailed annual budget; (4) official transcripts; (5) minimum of 2 sealed recommendation letters, 1 of which must be from a faculty member; and (6) 1-page resume.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Society Awards Committee or its designee for recommendation to the Executive Committee for final approval.
- The committee reserves the right to recommend that no award be made in a particular year if no meritorious applications are received.
- Selection is based on appraisal of applicant’s essay, justification to receive the award, education plans, academic performance, potential for development, demonstrated leadership qualities, and financial need.
- The amount of the scholarship will be determined annually by and subject to approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on income from the fund endowment.
- The recipient will be notified of selection in May by the Executive Director of the Society.
- Award funds will be deposited to the recipient’s account with the business office of the institution designated by the recipient.
- Funds may be applied to tuition expenses and academic fees reasonably and logically associated with an undergraduate engineering program while continuing formal undergraduate education.
Application Deadline: Complete applications must be received by February 10.
Submit Completed Application to:
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191-4400
Attn: Honors and Awards Program
All application requirements must be fulfilled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.