Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established in October 1969 following the solicitation of funds from individual engineers and engineering firms.
- 2020: David F. Garber, P.E., F.ASCE
- The award is known as the Surveying and Mapping Award.
- The award is made annually to the individual who has made a definite contribution during the year to the advancement of surveying and mapping either in teaching, writing, research, planning, design, construction or management, these contributions being made in the form of papers or other written presentations, or in some instances through notable performance, long years of service, or specific actions which have served to advance surveying and mapping.
- Membership in the Society is not a requirement for consideration.
- Not more than 1 award is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than 1 person, such as joint authorship of a paper.
- The Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute Surveying & Geomatics Division Executive Committee shall recommend the recipient, if any, to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for final action.
- Current members of the Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute - Surveying & Geomatics Division Executive Committee shall not be eligible for the award during their term of service.
- Self-nomination shall not be accepted.
- Self-promotion or lobbying on behalf of a candidate will disqualify the candidate from consideration.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next two selection cycles. At the end of the third cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration. Nominators who wish for their candidate to be eligible for consideration for another three-cycle period must submit a new nomination package.
- The award shall consist of a plaque and a cash award determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. If the award is presented for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the plaque. All other recipients shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomiation form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191