Nomination Deadline: November 1st
This award was established to honor Alfredo H.S. Ang, Ph.D., S.E., Hon.M.ASCE, NAE, the developer of practical and effective methods of risk and reliability approaches to engineering safety-and-design structural criteria formulation. The funds for the award were obtained through the solicitation of gifts from his colleagues, admirers and friends. The award was instituted by the Board of Direction on January 8, 2015.
- 2022: Michael Beer, Dr.-Ing., M.ASCE
- The award may be made annually to an individual who has made significant technical or technological contributions to the field of risk analysis and management of civil infrastructure.
- The recipient shall have demonstrated outstanding contributions to one or more in the following fields of research: safety and reliability of engineering systems; life-cycle performance under uncertainty; durability and resilience of engineering systems; safety and performance under natural hazards, and related fields.
- The award is not restricted to members of the Society.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Not more than 1 award may be presented in any given year. No one shall receive the honor more than once.
- The award selection committee shall recommend a nominee for approval by the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction.
- The award selection committee shall be composed of 4 members and a chair. 2 members shall be appointed by the Infrastructure Resilience Division (IRD) and 2 members shall be appointed by the Technical Council on Life-Cycle Performance, Safety, Reliability and Risk of Structural Systems (TCLC) of the Structural Engineering Institute (SEI). The 4 committee members shall serve overlapping 2-year terms. The Executive Committee of the IRD shall appoint a chair to serve the Award Selection Committee in even numbered years; the Technical Activities Division Executive Committee of SEI shall appoint a chair to serve the Award Selection Committee in odd numbered years. The chair shall serve a 1-year term, which is not renewable.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another 2 cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award will consist of a plaque, suitably inscribed with the name of the recipient and the year of award, and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191